I am one of those people that can’t pass up a good deal when I see it. I found this old sewing table on Facebook Marketplace years ago before we even moved into this house. This table has moved once and just sat in the garage until now. I have decided that it needed to become a repurposed sewing table. When I first bought the table my sister had actually given it a green paint job. But I decided that it has sat too long. I do have a sewing machine but I already have a table for it so I decided this needed to become a beverage station for our porch!
Supplies Used for a Repurposed Sewing Table
- Lead testing swabs
- Orbital Sander
- Multi-tool with a Dremel corner attachment
- Wood repair epoxy
- Paint brush
- Paint roller
- Spray paint
To start I decided to strip it down and I sanded the entire thing. I did first test for lead because there was yellow paint below the green and I wasn’t sure when it had been painted. I use these swabs that you put vinegar on, and then you rub it in the area for 30 seconds and if it turns red that usually means there’s lead present, Luckily the paint was not lead based.
I used the orbital sander for as much of the sanding as I could but I couldn’t get to the corners and so then I used a Milwaukee multi-tool with a Dremel corner attachment with a sanding pad, so that I could get the corners and other hard to reach areas.
The plan was to paint the sewing table, so that’s why I didn’t take it down to raw wood, but there were some broken pieces of the of the veneer that I wanted to fix first.
I used wood putty to fix the broken pieces of veneer. The wood putty is activated when you blend the two compounds together. To use the putty you start by taking off a chunk about the size you think you will use and you mold it in your fingers like clay. Once it is all combined you then apply it on the spot and then just kind of mold it to there, it does not need to be perfect as the putty once dry can be sanded smooth.
Once the entire piece had been wiped clean after all the sanding I applied two coats of paint. The paint color is by Behr and is called XX. This color was actually a sample I had ordered for our laundry room cabinets and didn’t choose and one sample can ended up being the perfect amount of paint for this project.
But the blue was just not enough and it felt like it needed another design element. So I decided to add a stripe to the top and once the lid is open another stripe to this side too. And to add another element I created a fun stencil with my Cricut.
I gave the wheels a quick spray with black spray paint to give them an updated look as well.
In order for the galvanized planter container to fit underneath I had to remove the two boxes/supports that were screwed in. Then it was time to attach the container. I flipped the entire thing over and used liquid nails to go around the rim. But because this might not be enough to hold it in place when drinks and ice are added I used a scrap piece of wood that was screwed in place to give it extra support.
And now we have an awesome drink station for our porch that is ready for the summer.
Other Posts You May Like:
- Milk Painted Furniture Makeover-China Hutch
- The Best 10 Tools For Furniture Makeovers
- DIY Table Makeover