Week 4 of the One Room Challenge has come and gone and I am just getting this blog post out to the world. Life has been a little crazy lately so I have come to the conclusion that it is what it is! So today let’s get to talking about this twin bed frame makeover. This twin bed frame was actually part of mine and my sister’s when we were kids. The bed frames can be stacked to make a bunk bed and each of our kids has one of the bed frames.
However these bed frames are from the 1990s and definitely were showing their age with the original oak colored stain. So I knew that the bed frame should be painted and given a more updated look to go with the rest of the room. I could have purchased a new bed frame however I wanted this room makeover to be as inexpensive as possible and since the current bed frame was completely functional I didn’t see the point in getting a new one.
This twin bed frame had holes in the top as that is where a dowel would be placed so that the beds could be stacked. I used wood glue to attach the dowel and then Justin sawed off the dowel with a multi-tool.
To start with after taking the bed apart I started sanding the entire bed frame with an 80 course grit sand paper with my orbital sander. This removed the stain very well but the surface was still pretty rough so I then went over the entire frame with 120 grit sand paper (the higher the grit means the finer the sanding will be).
I had not yet decided on a paint or stain once I had finished sanding so I experimented with a dark walnut stain, just applying a wood treatment and then a grey stain. Justin and I both decided that we liked the grey stain the best.
In addition to the new stain I also wanted to add a headboard to the bed. To do this we built a rectangular frame out of the same wood that we used for the board and batten. To add some texture to the headboard I ordered some caning from Amazon.
When using caning you will need to soak it in water to soften it to unroll it and be able to work with it.
I used a stapler gun to attach the caning to the back of the headboard and then trimmed away the excess with a scissor.
The caning was the perfect addition to the headboard. I love the way it looks. And most importantly Addie really loves it.
I realize it does look a little awkward with the headboard and the way that the railings are on the head of the bed but the railings won’t be seen once all the bedding is on.