Well, here we are in week 4 of the At Home DIY deck the home blog hop challenge and this week’s theme: outdoor decor. And each year I do some sort of decor on the porch and we put lights up on the house. But each year I want to add more and more lights to the outside because I get all caught up in the Christmas light displays! So this year Justin helped me create an easy DIY outdoor Christmas tree lights display.
Materials Needed for DIY Outdoor Christmas tree light display
- Scrap Wood trim or new wood trim pieces
- Wood Screws
- Drill bit set
- Chop saw or hand saw
- Hammer and nails (if you don’t have a drill)
- LED Christmas lights
- Staple gun
This project could not be easier to make and would work even if you don’t have a big yard to display them as the size can easily be adjusted. I found scrap trim wood in my parents’ barn but you could definitely buy brand new wood trim that is inexpensive for this project.
Because I was using scrap wood they were different sizes and shapes but we just used them the best we could and started by laying them on the shop floor in the shape of a triangle. I am very much a visual person so laying it down to figure out the size was good.
We decided to make the first one taller and skinnier at about 7 feet. We made a basic triangle and then added support in the middle. The middle support also made it easier to add the stake that would go into the ground.
Justin pre-drilled the holes before drilling in the screws so that the wood would not split. Although we did get one that split slightly we still used it. If you don’t have a drill you could definitely just use a hammer and nails to attach the frame together.
In order for the frame to stay upright and so that it would not fall over in the wind Justin attached another piece of trim that he cut a “V” shape in the bottom so that it could be pounded into the ground.
Once the frame was made it was time to attach the lights. We used a staple gun to attach the lights to the frame and then did a zig-zag pattern. The second frame we made was shorter and wider and the light strand I chose for that one was a lot longer. So in order to use up the entire strand, we did an up and down pattern starting at the top so that it could connect to the first frame.